Thursday, January 7, 2010

I hate snow!

Snow....snow....and more snow.

So I am a Phoenix boy. Well, at least I use to be. I use to enjoy 135 degree weather, if it went below 70 degrees I ran and hid in my house swearing to never go outside.

Here I sit in sunny Nashville....wait....snowy Nashville I mean.

As I look out my office window at my three siberian huskies, Zathan, Kuma, and Denali they are rubbing their faces side to side in the frozen snow on the ground. I am thinking to myself, "Those dogs are STUPID!!!" Denali, the youngest of the family will just sit there in the falling snow and stare up in the air. Kinda like, "Oooooohhhhhhh". WEIRD.

Anyways.........

As I sit hearing staring at my dogs loving what I hate I start to think.

As many of you probably know, life comes in seasons. Constantly changing, constantly evolving, and never consistent. One day it is hot and the next day it is cold.

Our lives will have those "Winter" seasons, where everything seems to die, the leaves fall off the trees, the ground is frozen, and you just don't want to go outside. You find yourself wishing you could go back to the beach, or to the field you played football with your friends in, or golfing. However, you can't. You can't change the season. You are stuck here in the cold. No matter what you do, you can't stop the cold. You can burn a whole forest of trees, yet it is still cold.

Then Spring comes. The grass starts to grow again. Leaves start to sprout. Weeds pop in your grass, and even though that sucks you think, "Well, it's better then snow and cold!" So you go to Home Depot and by some weed killer. You spray to much on the lawn and you have a big yellow burnt patch......I hate it when that happens. But even though you mess up a bit, spring just keeps on coming. You can't stop it. Birds are flying.....and pooping on your freshly cleaned car. People are jogging down the streets saying, "I am gonna get back in shape!". Families are going on picnics. Life just seems to happen. No matter what you think say are believe, you can't stop it. Mother nature just takes off.

But thats all old hat right.......we learned that in 7th grade biology.

What I learned today via my STUPID dogs is this.

Learn to love the "Cold" seasons. The times where it looks like everything is coming to an end. The times where you think, "How am I ever going to make it through!?" Our perception is that there is good and bad. Really, that is just foolish. We know that "God works all things for the good of those who love him." So really there is good and good.

We find ourselves in the "Cold" seasons looking back to the "Warm" season wishing. When in reality that season is gone, another warm season will come, but that one is gone. Rather we need to look ahead. Even though the "Cold" season isn't what you want, there still can be good to find. Rather then blossoming growth, you can grow strength, wisdom, and perseverance. My grandfather helped build the Biosphere in Tucson AZ (If you don't know what that is google it) When they first got that thing rolling they had a major problem, all the plants were dying. Scientist couldn't figure it out. The Oxygen levels were perfect, the soil was perfect, the water was perfect. What was wrong!? They later learned that there was no wind. Without wind plants cannot survive. Life is the same. Without a good miserable "Cold" season you won't have the strength to carry out the vigorous life you dream of in the "Warm" season.

So I challenge you.

Go rub your face in the snow. Go chew on some ice. Go embrace what you hate. Go and makes friends with misery. Who knows what joy you will find.

Cody P.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

What a great message. Thanks, Cody!

Indie said...

Hey cody. i saw you in AL (AWESOME) my 2yearold bro LOVES cody. he met you and he's still ur biggest fan. were the ones with the 'stellaN kart' thing. Haha i follow you on twitter too.

PS i actually do hope it snows where i am....how could you hate it?? i guess i love it cuz we never get it...dang. well bye thanks. haha :) (comment back to me, that'd be really cool. call me H)

Arielle said...

Cody,
You have no idea how much I needed this! Just another scripture to note is Romans 5:3-5. It's the first thing that popped into my mind reading this.
Thank you for sharing!

mayday said...

really inspiring!
thanks
nate

mayday said...

wow cody thanks again from us...well me this time! it's nice & sunny in nz buy we had an awfully long winter in more ways than one.. well needed advice.
Jordan